Which Marijuana Strain Has The Most THC?
Weed is becoming more and more potent as growers master new techniques and breed new strains. It is not an exaggeration to say that weed today is much more potent than that of yesteryear. The annual Cannabis Cup competitions held in the U.S. and Jamaica show that THC records are constantly being broken. There had never been a strain with over thirty per cent THC before 2015, and now there are at least three that we know of. There is growing concern that increased THC levels have led to a decrease in CBD, the ingredient often associated with medical effects.
THC is the psychoactive chemical in marijuana that makes you feel high, so it’s important to know whether your weed has a high or low concentration. Historically, weed has had about ten per cent THC. These days, however, concentrations might range from fifteen to above thirty per cent. A recent study found that the average THC concentration in legal Colorado marijuana is 18.7 per cent. While some strains are definitely more potent than others, factors like environmental conditions and growing techniques can greatly affect the THC levels in an individual harvest. A strain that usually tops the THC charts may have significantly lower THC levels if it was not grown in an optimal environment.
Here are some of the strongest strains that we know of:
- Chiquita Banana: this strain is sativa dominant and has a whopping 33 per cent THC.
- Chem Dog(Chemdawg): this Colorado native indica is a hefty 32.1 per cent in THC content.
- Emperor Cookie Dough: this Girl Scout Cookies X Emperor OG cross packs a punch with 31.1 per cent THC.
- Veganic Strawberry Cough: this sativa strain from the U.S. boasts 28.3 per cent THC.
- White Fire OG: this cross between The White and Fire OG has an average 22 to 30 per cent THC. It’s also called WiFi OG.
- Bruce Banner: this homage to the Hulk’s alter ego was the top contender in 2014. It’s a hybrid with almost 29 per cent THC.
- Girl Scout Cookies: this powerhouse strain is not as innocent as it sounds. It usually has over 28 per cent THC and it’s a key component in some of the strongest strains out there (like Emperor Cookie Dough).
- The White: this strain typically has between 20 and 28 per cent THC. It’s named for the white crystal resin that covers its buds.
- Strawberry Cough: this fragrant strand is not as sweet as its strawberry scent — it has up to 26 per cent THC.
Smoking weed isn’t the only way to get high. Many marijuana concentrates have far more THC than traditional weed. Here are a few of the most potent:
- Platinum Sour Diesel Isolate: this sativa concentrate packs an unbelievable 82.2 per cent THC.
- Sour Strawberry: this hybrid concentrate isn’t too shabby either, boasting 79.7 per cent THC.
- Lorax OG: this indica concentrate is looking at 77.7 per cent THC.
- Cookie Glue Rosin Batter: this non-solvent hash has a powerful 72.7 per cent THC.